Rearranged from a fortnight ago when snow brought most of the country – and our school – to a halt, World Book Day was huge fun at HOHS this week. We had a fancy dress competition, a visit from author Hayley Scott, a book swap, a barn full of books from Kett’s Books in Wymondham, older pupils reading to younger ones, teachers sharing their favourite storybooks and Duke of Edinbugh candidates in Years 10 and 11 devising book-related activities for younger pupils in the library. Have a look at our gallery (just click on the first of the small images) and check out the prize-winning costumes!
World Book Day 2018 was on Thursday 1st March – but that turned out to be a world Snow Day as we all know! At HOHS, though, we are determined not to miss out on this exciting event, so we have rescheduled our World Book Day for next week.
Here is what we plan for our Nursery, Lower and Upper Prep pupils:
- Pupils can come to school next Thursday, 15th March, dressed as a favourite book character – there will be a parade during assembly and prizes for the best, most creative ones!
- Please also bring a book you are prepared to swap – one you have read and are happy to part with. You can choose another to take home instead!
- Ketts Books, Wymondham’s community-run bookshop, will have a book fair in The Barn on Wednesdays 14th March, from 3.00pm for Lower Prep and from 4.00pm for Upper Prep. Pupils can use their World Book Day voucher to claim one of the special titles on offer. We will also get one free Usborne book for our school library for every two sold on the day, so do have a look at the special Usborne display for some great information books!
World Book Day 2018 is Thursday 1st March and we are planning some great activities around it, such as story time with different teachers, a book trail and book swapping sessions. Pupils in Nursery and Prep were given a letter on Friday with a voucher to choose one of the special £1 Book Day titles – keep it safe!
Here is what we plan:
- Pupils can come to school on March 1st dressed as a favourite book character – there will be a parade during assembly and prizes for the best, most creative ones! Why not start planning your costume over half term?
- The wonderful Ketts Books, Wymondham’s community-run bookshop, will have a book fair in The Barn on Weds 28th February, from 3.00pm for Lower Prep and from 4.00pm for Upper Prep. Pupils can use their World Book Day voucher to claim one of the special titles on offer. We will also get one free Usborne book for our school library for every two sold on the day, so do have a look at the special Usborne display for some great information books!
- You can find out more about World Book Day here.
From Nursery to Year 6 – thank you to EVERYONE who dressed up for World Book Day yesterday. The Prep Hall looked so colourful. Just wonderful!
Don’t forget that the World Book Day excitement continues at HOHS tomorrow! Keep your £1 tokens safe and come along to The Barn after school tomorrow to spend them! Ketts Books from Wymondham will be running a book fair for us from 3.00pm. There will be books for sale – including some special ones for just £1 – and fun activities for the children to try.
Today has been World Book Day and we were delighted that so many of our Prep pupils dressed up as their favourite book characters. Their teachers did, too! The children’s costumes were carefully judged by all the teachers and the winners in each year group received £5 book tokens.
All the children were also given £1 book vouchers to spend at the Ketts Books fair in school tomorrow, where there will be a special selection of books available for just £1.
Lots more pictures coming soon. Meanwhile, congratulations to the winners, pictured here (and their parents!). The pupils and their characters are listed under the picture…
Nursery Green: Chloe, Witch from Room on the Broom
Nursery Yellow: Lottie: Oompa Loompa from Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Reception: Elysia – Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland
Year 1: Jack – Dracula
Year 2: Evangeline – With from Room on the Broom
Year 3: Albert – Harry Potter
Year 4: Grace – Red Riding Hood
Year 5: Maisy – Goldilocks
Year 6: Emily: Grandpa from Grandpa’s Great Escape
See all the photos, fun and games that went on in the Prep School today for World Book Day.
It’s that time of year when parents must start digging through the dress up box and rise an extra hour in the morning to get their child ready for school.
World Book Day is on Thursday (7th March), so it might be worth thinking ahead and saving yourself the inevitable last-minute panic..